Ich habe keinen Bock.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Budapest!


Okay, I think this is weird. I have been to Hungary- to Budapest. Who does that? Salzburg? Sure. Venice? Absolutely. Budapest? Nope. But it is a beautiful city. Budapest was originally three (but mostly two) cities named Obuda, Buda, and Pest, all separated by the Danube river. Buda was the nicer part of town, but now they are all one city. I learned a lot about what the city went through, and to be honest I am amazed it is still a city at all. It seems almost every place we went we heard that it used to be different, that the building was bombed so much in WWII only the foundation remained. Communism has only been gone for 15 years or so, and the effects can still be seen. Budapest is similar to Vienna in some ways, but Vienna is much nicer because of how long democracy has been in place. People in Budapest are still trying to get back on their feet after such a terrible government. It made me all the more grateful for what I have and for what I didn’t have to go through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home