Ich habe keinen Bock.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Venice!




On Tuesday night we took a night train to Venice. We left about 8:30pm and arrived in Venice at 9am on Wednesday. Sleeping on such a train is not quite an experience I ever really want to repeat again. With all of the stop and go of the train, lack of pillows and blankets, and I slight case of claustrophobia I might have, it was a little hard to sleep. But we went to Italy! When we got there we took a water bus to get to our hotel. Afterwards, we wandered around the narrow alleys and up and over bridges for a while, till it was time for our tour of the Doge’s Palace and San Marcos.
The Doge was the elected Monarch-like figure of Venice, and the palace was beautiful. Sadly, we weren’t allowed to take pictures. The palace contained one of the biggest ballrooms I have ever seen. All I wanted to do was start dancing in there. (Unfortunately I had a fever most of that day and the next, so I wasn’t quite myself and didn’t- otherwise, I probably would have.) San Marcos was next, and because of high tides it was a little flooded. The mosaics in there are beautiful, and I can’t even imagine how many millions of tiles they used to make them.
That night we took it nice and easy. We found a little place overlooking the water and ordered… hamburgers. But they weren’t really hamburgers. They were pork burgers or something weird like that. They were, however, covered in some real Italian mozzarella. The best part of stopping there was the dessert. We had apple and pear sorbet, and I cannot recall ever enjoying a dessert more ☺ We ate as the sun set, and I was so content to just be there. The sun was orange, the sky was pink, and the water was blue. Beautiful.


2 Comments:

Blogger Landon said...

I took the night train from Paris to Madrid once, and there is a question I have to ask. Did you ever get the sensation that your feet were up higher than you head? Like you were sleeping slanted? Maybe I'm just crazy, but that is definitely how I felt.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

THankfully no, but I did feel like the bed went down into the wall instead of just coming straight out, like sleeping slanted in a sideways way, I guess. So every time the train stopped and started (like 20 times) I would roll back into the wall. Did you feel like that ever?

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home